Researchers investigate changing therapy experiences after the 2016 elections.
Our highly ranked program built on the scholar-practitioner model continues to set the pace for doctoral-level training.
Why Earn a PhD in Clinical Psychology?
With a PhD in clinical psychology you can practice in hospitals, as a consultant or in a private practice. You may also choose a career in academia, focusing on research and teaching.
Why Earn Your PhD in Clinical Psychology at Adelphi?
- Study at the first university-based professional school of clinical psychology continuing its legacy to promote psychodynamic and psychoanalytic principles and practices.
- Become a “pluralistic professional” with a strong foundation in psychotherapy integration and exposure to multiple perspectives and skills.
- Join our diverse community, committed to the promotion of social justice and appreciation of individual differences.
94%** Adelphi University Career Outcomes Survey: Class of 2018
Respecialization in Clinical Psychology
The clinical psychology respecialization program is available to assist doctoral-level psychologists trained in other areas who wish to make a career shift into clinical psychology through academic work and intensive training to develop clinical skills. Applicants are required to have a doctorate in psychology and have completed a dissertation.
Exceptional Hands-On Learning
As part of our doctoral psychology practicum training, you will have the opportunity to gain clinical and research training in each of your four years of residence. The primary clinical training facility is the onsite Center for Psychological Services, under the supervision of the doctoral faculty. Then beginning in your second year, training is more extensive and includes externships in various off-campus inpatient and outpatient psychiatric settings in urban and suburban clinics in Manhattan and Long Island.
Our students take advantage of a number of affiliated externships and internships on Long Island and throughout the New York Metro Area including the following hospital systems:
Application Requirements & Deadlines
The application deadline for admission is December 1.
Applicants for this program must have a completed undergraduate degree with prerequisite courses in:
- Introductory or general psychology
- Experimental psychology or research methods
- Abnormal psychology
- Developmental psychology
Applicants for this program should submit:
- Application submitted through PSYCAS and $50 Adelphi application fee
- Letters of recommendation: two or three professional or academic references
- Official transcripts from all prior institutions
- TOEFL or IELTS scores for international candidates if in the United States for less than three years
- GRE exam scores (general and subject tests)
Note that an interview may also be required.